Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The 12 Days of Christmas

In a perfect world, every anime would receive the budget, time, and talent needed to reach it's full potential. This, of course, is not a perfect world. Instead we have put up with all the accommodations that anime has to make when the lack one or all three. Sometimes an anime series can rise above and turn out stronger as a result - Shaft's delectable visual style comes from having too little time and money to animate in a more conventional style, for example. For the vast majority of other titles, we get an inferior work.



I mention this because sometimes whole seasons of anime will pass by without any noteworthy and satisfying animation to be found. Earlier this year, I had not realized how thirsty I had gotten for good quality animation until Studio Trigger's Little Witch Academia was released and I watched it.




Studio Trigger, for those that don't know, is a spin-off from Gainax and took most of the remaining quality employees from Gainax; so, greatest was to expected. However, Little Witch Academia was an example where even high expectations were not nearly high enough.



The first time I watched Little Witch Academia my brain was literally buzzing like it was full of bees and butterflies by the end. I just witnessed the most fleeting thing in anime - an anime with no compromises and directed by master craftsmen - and my brain had trouble taking it all in.



If only all anime could be like this. Imagine if Attack on Titan had been executed as well as Little Witch Academia was. That prospect is rather frightening (in a good way),



I watched Little Witch Academia 6-7 more times that day but it's that first viewing that I'm picking today as being one of the top moments of 2013 in anime.



Am I surprised how much money Studio Trigger for it's Kickstarter for Little Witch Academia 2? No, I'm not. I think they could raised a couple million dollars if they had added a one season series as a stretch goal.



So, to pick up from yesterday:



On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: anime to get buzzed from.

On the of Christmas, my true love gave to me: that final musical montage.

On the of Christmas, my true love gave to me: discovered gems during the Animusic Tournament.

On the of Christmas, my true love gave to me: the Time of Eve Kickstarter.

On the of Christmas, my true love gave to me: that publicity picture.



Tune in tomorrow to see what's next.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment